Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Do I Need Another Machine?

They are something about each of these machines that I like. Of course, technology has come a long way and I prefer the Janome's with the needle up and down, the smoothness and quietness of them, needle threader, thread cutter on Janome 1600P, couldn't quilt without that feature. Now I'm wanting a Janome Platinum 760 to carry to quilt guild, classes and camp. I need a light weight machine. I would hope that this one is heavy enough till it don't walk all over the table, if not I don't want it. I will be checking it out at the dealer soon.

This Nelco machine was my grandmothers. My aunt got it after she passed away and recently gave it to me. When I was a young girl I sewed on this a lot. It is a great machine. I use to help my grandmother quilt on this machine. She never did do much pieceing of small pieces. It was large squares just to keep you warm. I didn't really get into quilting until about 2002 and now I quilt about every day. I have always liked to sew.

This Kenmore machine was one of the first machines I had. It was the first new one. I have used it so much and it still sews great, but louder than the Janome's.

The White machine is for sewing heavier fabric. I got it to sew jeans in about 1982 and it has been used a lot.

The Kenmore Serger was purchased in 1998. I don't know how anyone lives without a serger. I use it for everything. When I first got it I didn't know if I would use it very much at all but wanted one really bad. Lots of people had told me they were so hard to thread but once you learn it it is a piece of cake.

I got this old Singer at a yard sale and took it and had it serviced. It works really good, makes a beautiful stitch. I didn't get the manual with it. The machine is all I got. I gave it to my cousin who lived in Florida. She passed away and her husband gave it back to me.

The Janome 4800QC is a very nice machine. It runs so smooth and quiet. It has a lot of decorative stitches on it. I like those for doing vintage things. It also has an alphabet for making quilt labels.

My Janome Memory Craft 9800 is a good embroidery machine. This is another machine I didn't know if I would get much use out of it but I just love watching it sew out the designs. I use it quiet a bit, but not as much after I got the quilting machine. My husband bought it for me in 2003 for my birthday.

And the Janome 1600P, I bought it December 2007 but didn't get it till January 2008. I have quilted about 50 quilts on it since then.

This Singer Treadle machine was given to me from my husbands aunt. It was my husband's grandmother's machine.

This Elgin machine I bought it at a sale the homemakers was having for a fundraiser.

5 comments:

Gizmo said...

Of course you do! Don't we all??

Kristie said...

Giggle! Maybe you should bring them all to the guild meeting on the 25th so no one else will have to bring theirs! :) Looks like you really have some nice machines.
Kristie

Cindy said...

There's always room for more machines. It looks like a great collection. Now without hurting any of the machines feelings which one is your favorite?

Candace said...

Looks like a nice collection. I never thought that I'd have more than 1 machine and now I have 6 including a little blue kenmore that I got for my grandkids. Just wondering what kind of frame you have your 1600 on, and if you like it.

Michelle said...

In case you don't know, the Singer 401A is a workhorse, and will sew through just about anything, and is a very popular collectible machine. It has a shaft driven semi industrial motor and sews at high speeds, much faster than most sewing machines.

It also takes addition cams for more decorative stitches.

Let me know if you still need a manual. I think I can help you out.
Michelle